Post-tutorial Dwarf Fortress links and resources
I’ve written a book – Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress, available at O’Reilly and Amazon! It covers the current version and takes you from knowing nothing to being a confident Dwarf Fortress player!
If you’ve finished the tutorial you may want to do some more reading and research to further increase your enjoyment of Dwarf Fortress. Here are a few of my favorite links, tutorials and resources, enjoy!
- Captnduck’s Dwarf Fortress video tutorials. These are dozens of excellent video tutorials for Dwarf Fortress delivered by an old-time DF forum geek, Captnduck. With what you understand already these vids should provide you with more excellent knowledge and will fill in some gaps, such as how to generate your own world, how to chose a place to embark, etc, etc.
- Dwarf Fortress Wiki. The wiki has some great tutorials in the middle of the home page. Check them out!
- Bay12 Games Forum. A good spot to see the latest news and developments and to read about mods, new techniques and tools and amusing stories.
- Latest DF code developments. The game coder, Toady, works all day, three out of four weeks in a month, on DF. Read his dev log for choice details such as: “Today was compound fractures as well as fractured layers being knocked inward to damage soft inner portions. So a bone in the arm for example could break through the skin if the arm is struck by even a blunt weapon, and impacts can also force jagged skull edges into the brain or a broken rib into the heart or a lung (generally, the broken layers can cross body part boundaries according to the wound’s path over body part relationships)”.
- Support Dwarf Fortress! Go and donate a few dollars to Toady. Developing this game is his full-time job and if you’ve enjoyed playing so far he deserves a few of your dollars.
- May Green’s tileset: We’ve been using MayDay’s custom tileset in the game. Keep an eye on his site for updates as Toady updates the main code base.
Those links should keep you busy for the foreseable future. Thanks for reading and come back to check out links to other interesting games and links to more after action reports from Dwarf Fortress and other games.