The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2012 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
About 55,000 tourists visit Liechtenstein every year. This blog was viewed about 590,000 times in 2012. If it were Liechtenstein, it would take about 11 years for that many people to see it. Your blog had more visits than a small country in Europe!
A friend over on BrokenForum has been writing a superb Command Ops AAR where day by day he recounts the battle for Bastogne on the same days in December that those historic events occurred all those years ago. The result is a superb retelling of history along with the interesting perspective of someone playing through the battle in the excellent Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge game engine. Go have a read, Fishbreath has done an excellent job!
I’m currently completely an utterly obsessed with Kerbal Space Program, a rocket-building sandbox game currently in development (demo (old) version available at link). It is really, really great fun and supported by a very active modding community (even new features can be modded in!). I find myself semi-roleplaying a space program by starting off with comsats and rovers before moving into manned landers and flight.
I’m documenting my progress over on Broken Forum in a Let’s Play. Come have a read, and go give KSP a try!
An O’Reilly customer got a copy of my book that had “mutated” to include about 1/3rd of another book at the start. I volunteered to sign it and, of course, O’Reilly sent him a correct copy. Stuntateous sent me his mutant book, AND his underpants to sign and a demo disk as a gift (er, thanks?!).
Shine on you crazy diamond!
I’ve been messing with minecarts and dwarven computing in Dwarf Fortress and produced these two videos which show the hilarious results of flinging dozens of gold bars at invading trolls and goblins. I’m going to work on some basic dwarf fortress engineering/computing tutorial videos as well in the near future. Enjoy!
Click the link to watch my O’Reilly Dwarf Fortress webcast on YouTube – Quality isn’t great (damn NZ internet), but 28 minutes MINECART SHOTGUN!
Today I completed a webcast with O’Reilly on Dwarf Fortress. In the webcast I talked about a number of forts and features. If you’re interested in following up on any of these forts or checking out the tools I’ve mentioned, have a look at the links below:
- Fortress Kelnimar – fantastic minecart “racetrack” and trader-smashing minecarts. Started by GirlInHat.
- Dwarfputing AI – A keyboard and entry registry in Dwarf Fortress! Work in progress by Bloodbeard.
- Fortress Soitenly – Automated magma defense system by Vjek. Available by request from creator.
- Fortress Skyscrapes 2 – Constructed “rings”, very pretty! Community game kicked off by Sizik.
- Fortress Steelbeard – Simple bedroom design and some surprises deep down below. Started by Aussieevil.
- DF Hack – a tool that contains Stonesense and other command line features.
- Dwarf Fortress File Depot – hosts a lot of handy Dwarf Fortress.